Wednesday, July 25, 2012

FO: Sorbetto #2

 When it comes to knitting, I very rarely repeat patterns.  There are so many things I want to make, and once I'm finished with something, I want a new experience. 

With sewing, though, I can see myself repeating patterns over and over again.  Why is that?  Is it because it's harder for me to get the fit right with sewing, so there's a lot of value in working on something several times to get it right?  Is it because sewn garments are more common in my wardrobe than knitwear, which are usually unique pieces?  Who knows.  Don't over think it, Meredith. 

Anyway, I made another Sorbetto! 


My first was too tight through the bust, so I cut one size larger there, but kept the waist and hip the same.  So I did a 12 at the bust, grading out to a 14 at the waist and a 16 at the hip.  Do you think it fits better?  There are some faint wrinkles on the straps.  What's up with that?


I used a London Calling floral cotton lawn from fabric.com which I love love love.  From far away, it reads very light and pink, but up close, it's a little more vibrant. 


I think this will be a great summer and fall top.  I have some MerLin in that aqua color to make a Goodale cardigan.  I think I'll start that as soon as the Ravellenic Games are over.  I can't wait!

I wore this yesterday with a skirt I made but didn't blog, McCalls 5523


I'm sure I'll make another Sorbetto.  Next time, I'll work on fitting the back just a bit better.  Bra straps anyone?  Oh well. 


Next up: one last maxi dress for the summer!

4 comments:

  1. That is so cute! You did a good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Hopefully, I'll improve a little with each one.

      Delete
  2. Nice top. Regarding the shoulder wrinkles, I think you need to shave a little off the top of the shoulder at the armhole edge.
    Try pinning out a little more at that point and see if that reduces the wrinkles. When you get the right effect, measure the amount you need to reduce the height of the armhole shoulder edge, transfer that measurement to the pattern, draw a straight line from the unchanged neck shoulder height to your new point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for the advice! I will try that. It seems like there is so much to learn in the world of sewing and fitting. Thanks again!

      Delete