Monday, June 25, 2012

FO: Rory's striped scarf

Ahem.  I wrote this post a long time ago.  March, I think.  And now I'm posting it.  Don't judge.  You have things hanging over your head, too, right?
 
As part of Stash Down 2012, I've used up some scrap yarn!  Since Downtown Abbey is over (sad face), I've started re-watching Gilmore Girls for the 78th time.  In Season 1, Rory wears this stripey scarf, and I found myself thinking, "I could make something like that!"  I realized I had a ton of worsted weight wool scraps, so I gathered it all up and got to work.


Pattern: I wanted the stripes to be very clear, not affected by purl bumps, so I used the Noro striped scarf pattern.  It's a 1x1 rib, which ends up looking like stockinette on both sides.  I used each color for 15 rows.

Process: This was so speedy!  I hate making scarves because of the boredom factor, but this wasn't boring at all.  I should tackle the Noro striped scarf!

Product: It's a cushy, basic, sporty, very warm scarf.  For free!  Score!

Yarn:  This was like a sampler for different worsted weight wool.  Out of the 15 colors, 8 were Wool of the Andes, one was Cascade 220, one was Cascade 220 Superwash, one was Patons Wool, and one was Merino Style, which is now sadly discontinued.  It really is very soft.  It's listed as a DK weight, but it knit up at exactly the same gauge and hand as all the worsted weights.

What I learned:  This was a super simple project, but I still learned something!  When it comes to binding off a 1x1 rib, it will flare out and look sort of crummy.  So I used the kitchener stitch!  I put all the knit stitches on one needle and all the purl stitches on another needle, and then grafted them to each other!  It worked perfectly and made me happy.



Ravelry project page: ta-da!

Stash Down 2012 strikes again!  Maybe I'll use the scraps to make some Sundance-inspired mitts?

No comments:

Post a Comment