Saturday, August 6, 2011

FO ta-da!


I have been making a zillion shawls this spring and summer.  I'm curious to see how I'll wear them once fall returns and the temperatures drop below a million degrees, or whatever it is right now.  I knit the Cladonia shawl as part of the Through the Loops summer shawl KAL.  This really is great summer knitting.  I used Malabrigo Sock, which was bascially amazing, in colorways Lettuce and Rayon Vert.  Lettuce was almost shimmery, like it was made of different layers of the same green.  Rayon Vert had more variations in the main hue, with flecks of green emerging from the purple.


A lot of the reviews on Ravelry said the yarn was terrible about tangles, but I had no problems.  I knit it on US 5 needles, and it has incredible drape and squishyness.  I think I could pull the whole thing through a napkin ring. 


This shawl is playful and elegant at the same time.  It seems to have a slightly retro carnival feel to it, but it also reminds me of something Victorian.  It was a lot of fun to knit.  I love the semi-circular shape, which might be more wearable than the triangle.


I was worried that the pico loop edging was going to be never-ending, but it turned out to be my favorite part.  It was hypnotic and soothing, and each one was like a mini-creation.  I was sorry when I ran out of them!


I ran out of pins while I was blocking it, and I couldn't find my spare tin of them in all the moving boxes we've yet to unpack.  So I pinned as many loops as I could, and then tried to lay out the rest of them so that they were open.  I think it worked pretty well.


In sum: an inspired pattern, decadent yarn, a fun process and a unique FO!  I will definitely be knitting more Through the Loops designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment