Thursday, September 15, 2011

FO ta-da!


A friend from childhood is having a baby in November.  I've used several patterns for baby things that I'd love to make again--Baby Surprise Jacket, February Baby Sweater, Granny Stripe Blanket--but I still have several in my queue that I want to try, so I never seem to get back to those.  Abby's Blanket bumped those others back down the queue.  It's from Kirsten Kapur, whose designs I love. 


It's a lace blanket, started in the center from a crochet cast-on.  I'd never done the crochet cast on before, and although it was a bit fiddly, I managed it pretty well.  It makes for a beautiful little circle in the middle of the blanket. 


I'm very pleased with how it came out.  My only reservation is that it's very stretchy.  When my daughter was tiny and couldn't hold her head up, it seemed like I was always struggling to hold her in a supportive way and keep all her blankets and clothes wrapped around her, at the same time.  I wonder if a blanket with just a little more substance would be better.  But you can never have too many blankets, and a stretchy one will come in handy at some point!

Final verdict: I'm glad I made it.  I think it's beautiful and it was a fun knit.  But I don't think it quite makes the queue of baby items I want to make again. 


Pattern: Abby's Blanket
Designer: Through the Loops
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash
Ravelry project page

1 comment: