Friday, September 9, 2011

sweet knitting dreams

Every night, I read my 16 month old daughter two or three books as part of our bedtime routine.  I generally read the same books for a couple of weeks, then switch one or two of them around.  A few days ago, I realized that there is a very subtle theme running through my current selection: knitting! 

We start off with a book that I sing, Wheels on the Bus, illustrated by Sylvie Kantorovitz Wickstrom.  I love the detail in this book, and even though we've read it about 749 times, I still find new things in it.  The only draw back is that all the people in this book are white, so the lack of diversity is a bummer.  On the last page, as the people on the bus get off at a park and the bus drives away, one woman joins her knitting friend:


Next up is a clever, chipper book, Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw, illustrated by Margot Apple. 



These sheep have adventures in their jeep, but they aren't very careful.  The jeep ends up in heap after they crash it into a tree.  As they're picking up the pieces, look what one of the sheep discovers:


Her knitting bag!  All her friends are sad, but she's sneaking off to work on her knitting.  She looks a bit ... sheepish. 

And then we finish up with the classic:


I love that it's getting some wear around the edges.  We've read it a few times!  I read this when I was a little girl, and I was so intrigued by all the things that were in the room.  A comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush.  And ...


And a quiet old lady who was knitting!  And whispering hush, of course. 

I love reading to my daughter, especially at bedtime, since she's quiet and still.  And seeing these little knitters every night is like a secret hidden in plain sight, just for me.  And now for you! 

By the way, the blanket in the background is an FO I need to show you!  Pictures tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment